Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Learning and MOOC

Since I'm a student of education I think it is very important to continue learning and one way I've been attempting to do that is through Coursea.  Coursea is a MOOC.  If you are unfamiliar with Massisve Open Online courses you should familiarize yourself because they are probably the future of education.  I'm taking an college algebra course through the University of California and if I pay a small fee 79.00 I would get credit for the course.  However, I'm not sure I will pass.  My point of taking the class was to stay ahead of my daughter so I could help her with high school math if she had a question, but I also wanted to test out a MOOC.  First, polynomial functions are not something I remember, but the teacher is doing a great job of convincing me that I should be using these at work.  However, I can't remember all of the exponent rules and I'm having trouble entering my answers on the quizzes correctly.  Bottom line, I'm like the smart kid in your class that is trying to do the three chapters of work on one weekend and passed last year doing this but now It's not working.
1. The class is challenging.
2.  The quizzes aren't multiple choice.
3. The video instruction is good, but some of the quizzes are way above my skills.

I recommend trying a MOOC.  Try Coursera or Udacity for course offerings.

My other goal is to be a learner.  Learning is not always easy.  I spent an hour trying to learn the concepts and thought I had it.  If I really needed this class I would be very frustrated because I would have to backtrack for hours to learn the material.  The feeling of not understanding is not pleasant.  When students in your class are acting out or finding something else to do there is a reason.  I think it's good for every educator or anyone to feel that frustration or that experience because it gives us a perspective so we can help.  When you are working with children focus on telling them what to do next, not what they did wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment